Are you considering a property investment? Perhaps you dream of developing some farm land. Maybe you envision a home on a private plot in the country. Whatever your plans, it’s important to know what to look for as you consider land for sale in Alpine, TX.
As you search, negotiate and purchase, keep the following in mind. If you have any additional questions, reach out to your local real estate agent for assistance:
- You’ll need some cash: Are you hoping to finance your land purchase? Keep in mind that banks typically aren’t interested in lending money for vacant land purchases. If you have a good relationship with a bank, you might be able to get around 40 percent of the value financed. It’s more likely that you will have to come up with the entire purchase price. However, if you plan to build on the land, you might have better luck obtaining a construction loan for the future structure.
- Your surroundings are important: If you want to build your dream home on a plot of land, you have to consider where that land is located. Are the neighboring homes similar to what you hope to build? For loan approval, appraisals and future salability, you’ll want to keep your property in the same price range as its neighbors.
- You should check out the condition: Don’t assume just because the view is pretty that the land is in good shape. Order environmental tests to check the soil for contaminants. Research the area for flooding history. Ask a surveyor to identify the boundaries to prevent surprises—encroachments are more common than you might think.
- Your access matters: Does the land for sale in Alpine, TX offer access to roads and utilities? As you consider the price of the land, be sure to keep this in mind. Adding infrastructure can be a significant cost. Check to see if the property offers access to sewers, running water and electricity, as well as public roadways. You might decide that the remote location you valued for its privacy doesn’t have quite as much access as you desire.
- You can’t always rezone: Are you hoping to rezone the land for sale in Alpine, TX? Before you dream too big, confirm whether or not you can use the land for the purposes you have in mind. Local ordinances and zoning laws may prohibit you from rezoning to your desires. Check all codes before you choose a piece of property, to ensure you can use it as you hope.
If you are considering the purchase of land for sale in Alpine, TX, don’t dive in alone. Your local real estate agent can help you find the best land for your needs and help you get it for the best price. Carpenter Real Estate has deep roots in the surrounding communities and three generations of experience to help you with your real estate transaction. As members of the Alpine Chamber of Commerce, the Texas Association of Realtors and the National Association of Realtors, we are your go-to source for real estate. Call us today for a free consultation!