Exclusively Co-Listed by:
Carpenter Real Estate and King Land & Water
10,000 acres only 14 miles South of Alpine, Texas. Renowned for being one of the finest and most scenic ranches in West Texas. 3,000+sq ft Headquarters log home, 2 other Foreman’s ranch hand homes. Elevations from 5,520ft to 6,660ft. Four miles of Calamity Creek, one of the few spring fed live water creeks in West Texas. This is a rare offering and your opportunity to own one of the finest ranches in West Texas.
ACREAGE: 10,000+/- acres all deeded land
LOCATION: 14 miles due South of Alpine, TX, with highway frontage and access on State Highway 118
TERRAIN: The ranch features a wide variety of terrain of broad level grassland valleys grading into heavy wooded draws and ravines sloping up to rolling and rough hills around and part of the scenic and majestic Cathedral Mountain, which rises some 2,000 ft above the valley and is 6,860 ft in elevation at it’s summit. Calamity Creek traverses the ranch as well as several other spring-fed creeks providing excellent water for livestock & game.
VEGETATION: A good year-round cover of the better grasses and plants that are essential for successful livestock operation exists in the rich volcanic soil. Somewhat unique is the abundance of early green forage in the sub-irrigated valleys. Largely, this consists of prolific bunch grass (The Sacaton Species) that starts growth as soon as the heavy front end. This not only gives the calf crop a good start, but, reduces the requirement for supplemental feeding. When the Spring and Summer rains start, the livestock move up into the hills and mountains where the more succulent grasses exist, ie: bluestems, the grama family (sideoats, blue, black,etc), Crested Wheat Grass, along with Forbs and Browse plants such as Talloweed, Parsley, Shinnery, Apache Plume, etc. On many of the hillsides and ravines, there are good stands of native trees. Varieties of Oak, Cottonwood, Juniper and Hackberry are the predominant species.
IMPROVEMENTS: The existing Headquarters home is approximately 3,000+/- sq ft log home/lodge that reportedly cost close to $1 Million to build. It has 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 4 lofts, and great room and a game room.
The Foreman’s house has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and has a large screened-in porch. There is a barn with a shop, hay storage and pens at this home. A concrete water crossing was built on the L-H Draw close to the Foreman’s house that backs up or impounds some water.
There are a set of pipe working/shipping corrals with scales located very near Highway 118 for easy shipping. The ranch is divided into four pastures with numerous smaller traps.
WATER: The ranch is watered by approximately four wells equipped with submersible pumps. There are storage tanks and troughs at these as well.
In addition to the wells, the ranch is watered by Calamity Creek, numerous springs, dirt tanks and a small man-made lake.
CARRYING CAPACITY: This ranch is located in an area considered to be the very best cow or grazing country in this part of West Texas. It should comfortably carry approximately sixteen (16) animal units to the section or a total of 250+/- animal units during average rainfall years of 15-17 inches.
GAME: The ranch provides excellent hunting for mule deer, antelope, turkey, mourning dove, and white wing dove during migration. The ranch also has some whitetail deer, javelina, varmints and an occasional elk.
PRICE: Asking price for the Cathedral Mountain Ranch is $2,400.00 per Acre.
The Cathedral Mountain Ranch is Co-Listed with King Land and Water, LLC
The information presented herein has been provided by the Seller and is believed to be true and correct. However, no warranty is given, express or implied, as to the accuracy of this information. Use of this information should be limited to persons qualified to assess it’s accuracy. Any offer to purchase the property described herein is subject to prior sale, changes in price or terms, or withdrawal from the market without notice.
HISTORY OF CATHEDRAL MOUNTAIN
The colorful history of one of Texas’ premier ranches began over 100 years ago when a young sea captain, named Lawrence Haley, decided to settle in America. He had grown up on a station (ranch) in New Zealand, and apparently grew tired of his life at sea, choosing to renew his ranching interests. Originally, he moved to an area close to Fort McKavett, Texas, then later came west to Fort Davis, Texas. Local Indians told Haley of an area call “La Cienega” (springs) South of Alpine, and adjacent to Cathedral Mountain. He investigated the property and leased it for a period of 1 to 2 years before deciding to settle and acquire ranch land. Through purchase, homesteading, and exchange, he put together a spread that went from Mount Ord on the East all the way to Cathedral Mountain and up to Paisano Pass to the West: totaling some 45,000 acres- thus creating his own small empire.
Mr. Haley never married and was very superstitious about having women on the land- probably a carry over from his seafaring days. He was an educated man and kept meticulous records as to the climate, rainfall, livestock and improvements. The Ex-Captain was quite innovative and largely self-sufficient, making only occasional buggy trips to Alpine for purchase of things such as coffee, sugar, salt, etc. Everything else he grew at the ranch: vegetables, fruits, meat and the like. He would even bring large blocks of ice from the railroad spur at Paisano Pass in the winter and store it under saw dust, which would last through most of the summer. His pens, fences, and rock work are still serviceable and in good shape, even today after roughly 100 years.
Mr. Haley had no relatives that he deemed worthy of leaving the ranch, and at his death in 1917 (he is buried on the property) willed the land and livestock to his foreman, George A. Brown. Mr. Brown operated the ranch from 1917 up until his death in 1932. Brown also started a gust ranch in the early 1920’s that was in operation until the depression of 1929.
The guest ranch was again opened in the 1950’s, but, had been open only a few years when the lodge and stables burned down. The ranch was sold by the Brown heirs in 1970 and the ranch has been operated by four other owners up to the present date. Several movie companies have used the old pens and buildings along with the natural scenic backdrop for their locations.